Thursday 24 January 2013

Match Ohms between a HIWATT amp-head and cab

    I had some gear malfunctions with my Hiwatt Head.  At an outdoor show with Generation Who in Maple Ridge it fizzled during some epic Who number. I had a backup unit but had never tried using it and half thought I could get the amp going again but time ran out and I had to plug into the only available unit which was a tiny practice amp.  

    I went from Godzilla to regular-lizard and it made the show that much harder to get through. It was bad enough jumping around doing windmills and flying kicks in a full-body jumpsuit in the hot sun without sounding like mud on a stick.  Later, I replaced the fuses and had a few rehearsal without a problem.  Then at the Media Club, again with Gen Who, it happened again during "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the rest of the band held the song for about ten minutes while I changed my fuse in the dark only to have that not work.  Then Charlie, who was playing before us leant me his amp and saved my ass.  It was highly- selassi- stressful.  Plus , I was already under the weather and just trying to ride out a stomach flu.  I got through it and persevered but it knocked me for sure.

    I went home and took a look at the fuses and noticed they didn't match the pen writing on the amp. Whoever had the amp before me had a one amp fuse in a three amp slot. I had replaced it and not noticed or maybe I wasn't able to find three amp fuses and had to opt for one amp fuses.  Whatever happened, I got the right ones from Main Electronics and thought I was set.  Then, the other day, it blew a few times in a row while playing the amp through HO's Attenuator and without it.

    So, I brought it in and got some wisdom from HO.  First he said, don't crank the master much past 4. He said my tubes probably need replacing.  They get old quick and cost a lot to replace like strings and 9 volt batteries for pedals.  That's why I love tambourines so much.  He also said I should check my speaker cab and make sure the Ohm rate matches.  Having 16 Ohms overloading an 8 Ohm speaker cab will tax the tubes (or something to that effect).  To check the Ohmage- attach a cable to the speaker and send a current into the top and bottom of the metal quarter inch cord lead with a volt meter.

No comments:

Post a Comment